This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cathedral High School Girls Drum & Bugle Corps, St Cloud

They say a Drum Corps girl is hard to beat,
Shes's just a hundred per from head to feet,
She's got that style, that smile, that winning way..
No matter where you go you'll recognize her and you'll say,
"Now there's a girl I'd like to know
She's got that good ol' Drum Corps pep and go, and
Just to look at her is quite a treat, It's hard to beat
a Drum Corps Girl"!

I was trying to find pictures online of the CHS Drum Corps that Marion and I belonged to in the 60s.  There's almost no mention of them, and that really makes me sad. 
We won Aquatennial Flags year after year, never realizing we were almost  the ONLY "Ladies Drum and Bugle Corps" in the five state area . (The VFW in St Cloud sponsored a corps too, but those poor girls just weren't as COOL as us)..  Still, we were good, and deserved to win if for nothing else than we marched with straight ranks and excellent diagonals in 98º heat, wearing wool long sleeved uniforms with panty hose, majorette boots, hair nets under dorky hats, and white gloves.
Oh, man.  We need more info about the Corps online--I believe the Drum Corps was organized in the 1920s at Cathedral and disbanded in the 1970s? If you find this and have more facts or memories, let me know, or leave a comment!
(Yes, this qualifies as history!)
Addendum:
Trivia--see the 'stuff' around the boots of the girl in front?  We used plastic bread bags to keep the white parts white as long as possible.  It worked.

Larry FOUND this photo (below) online, altho he didn't specify from where.  He said the Drum Corps participated in a Brainerd Butter Days Parade in 1951 or 52.  Ok, I'll take his word for it.

(See the bass drum there, in the middle?  I'm sure it's the same drum I carried right before we invested in new sparkly blue drums in...1966?  Gawd, we were GOOD!)

2 comments:

  1. I now have a Drum Corps song earworm. I don't discover any new lyrics - it just goes around and around and around. Thanks just awfully.

    Love you - PT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see this page. In 1966 I dated, briefly, one of the members; Mary and I believe her last name was Calland. I was a member of the Crusaders from St. Peter, MN. Chuck Bjorklund forwhatitsworth.bjork@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete