Saturday, May 29, 2010
The hospital expects to deliver the statue to the city of Pierz in the next several weeks, according to a news release.
The St. Cloud diocese commissioned and paid for Italian sculptor Domenico Mastroianni to create the structure in 1952. It has stood in front of the hospital, along Sixth Avenue North since 1969.
With the current construction project, hospital officials thought about moving the statue. Discussion led to approaching Pierz with the idea of donating the statue to the community".