This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Frances Dengel


 


Wow, it really pays to go back over census records.  This time, I was reading them for relationships and who the next-door neighbors were, etc.
Going back over the 1910 Buckman census, the Joseph Janson family included a John Janson, grand child, 13 years old, born in New York.  Was this an adopted kid, or was he Sebastian's son, born 'out east' in Virginia?
--We had a question about the John Sand who lived west of town near Mike Sand--was he the same John Sand as the sheriff in Little Falls during the Bulow business?  (No, this was John M where the one in Little Falls was JP).
--William Bahns and wife Katherine lived in the township in 1910 (mom's side of the family).

--Actually, we were looking for Aggie Hesch's friend, Frances Dengel--where did she fit?  We have photos of her with Aggie courtesy of Sue's mom's photo collection.  In other words, Agnes Hesch married Joe Suess and they had 2 kids--Joan and James.  Joan inherited a lot of pictures from Aggie, but Joan died in a car accident before she could explain who these people were-to her daughter Sue.  Now, it's become a quest for Larry and me to help figure em out ☺






The young woman on the right is Frances Dengel.   I can't get over how photoshopped they look, levitating over the sidewalk there, in Duluth.
lol


A photo that Frances sent to Aggie, evidently.  This would be about 1923 if they were 17 in the photo ►.  They were going to school in Duluth, I think.









Ok!  Here's the transcription on FamilySearch from the 1920 Buckman census.  It says Frances was born in Oregon and was the niece of Nick Mueller and Caroline (Dengel) Mueller.  Frances was the same age as Aggie, and they were first cousins cuz Nick and Ket were siblings.


Eventually, Frances Dengel became Sr. Carmelita
Thanks, Sue! ☺

********************************************
And more thanks to Sue who sent Sr Carmelita Dengel's obit, which explains a lot.   She was born in Oregon, but her parents had died, which is why she lived in Buckman with her aunt and uncle.  Cool! Another mystery solved.  

Added almost four years later:
As it says in her obit, St Carmelita worked at St James Orphanage in Duluth during her career, having something of an affinity with parentless kids.  If I understood Chris correctly, Albert and Mary Stepan worked there in later years, along with their son Clarence (Chris' dad).

 These two pictures are of the Stepan family

Above, the Stepan family in 1983...and below, in 1995 
after Sr Carmelita's funeral.
THANKS to Chris for these last pics, and the info to go with em ☺

4 comments:

  1. My Dad, Clarence Stepan, was Sister Carmelita's first cousin. She lived with his parents, Albert & Mary Stepan, in Buckman after moving to Minnesota.
    Also, my Dad's brother, Ozzie, married Ruth Terhaar. Wonder if there is a connection to some of the pictures I've seen on this site?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there was more than one Terhaar family in the area just like there must have been more than one Stepan family. I could only find Lorenz and Barbara Stepan (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Stepan&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=25&GScnty=1358&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=35420558&df=all&)...and I haven't found any Stepan photos at all, so far. Lorenz' obit doesn't mention children....was Albert a brother? I suppose Frances moved around between relatives in Buckman, living with Muellers and with Stepans, huh?
    Thanks for supplying another piece of the puzzle, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorenz and Barbara were Albert's parents. Albert was their youngest child and died in 1988 at the age of 95. My brother Dave has all of the geneology for my family going back to Dubi/Teplice Czechoslovakia.
    The last time I was home (Duluth), my dad told me that my aunt Ruth's family came from Buckman. I sent this page to one of her daughters, but I havent heard anything.
    So is this a web page for Buckman or your family?
    I did a search for Sister Carmelita and came across this wonderful site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how names I see in your web site jogs a memory. I know my Dad's cousin, Liz Mueller, (her dad's name was Nick) is from Buckman. I also saw a Brandl... My dad sat behind Bernie Brandl in 3rd grade in Buckman. Bernie is married to Lois Imgrund (from Brainerd). Lois is my ex husbands aunt.

    ReplyDelete