This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Monday, November 15, 2010

Magdalena Sand 1894-1987

Grandma Lizzy (Sand) Hesch had a little sister named Magdalena, but everyone knew her as Lena.  She was the youngest girl, second youngest kid, and the last one left after Frank died in 1979.
I remember going with Aunt Fronie to visit her at her house in Pierz, south on the street behind the church.  We talked canning, and sauerkraut, and she named all the people in the family picture I brought along (the 1896 picture of the whole Mike Sand Family) while I wrote them down. I remember her talk was liberally sprinkled with German words, and I hadta keep asking 'What?'  She did it purposely and got a big kick out of it, too.
I remember her being feisty and fun...and not inclined to put up with "dumb stuff".  She had a quick mind and wit.  I only wish I'd taken the time to know her better.



No comments:

Post a Comment