This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Christmas Concert in Schamers, Bohemia

I found a card in my mailbox yesterday saying I had a package at the post office--oh YAY!!  But WHO sent me something for Christmas?

It was a DVD from Heinz and Melitta Binder, our kind and fairly close relatives in Austria. It's a video of the concert last December (2009) commemorating 650 years of the church or the village of Cimer, Czech Republic (what was Schamers, Bohemia).

It's especially wonderful because the very first Hesch that Larry found in the digital church records online was Johannes Hesch who was marrying Agnes Proll in her parish church there in Schamers in 1839.  The church books in that little village church encouraged us to keep looking...and the rest is history...lol


I tried again to do screen captures from the video and again they didn't work--the best I can do is show you the photos from the cover of the DVD case.
The concert was in December last year, as I said.  The church has no heat, so the musicians wore winter coats and created clouds of breath...lol  I was struck by the beauty of their voices and the talent of the other musicians, as part of a flowing river of people worshiping in that spot on the earth for more than 650 years.  I looked at faces to see if I recognized any features, but no, these modern parishioners are all ethnic Czechs.  (The German people had to leave after WWII).  Still, they share the Catholic faith, ceremonies and holiday traditions with our ancestors.

I wish I could show you even part of the video, especially the views of the manger scene and the altar area.  I expect the statues have been there for many years, maybe long enough that Johannes and Agnes would recognize them, huh?
What a wonderful holiday surprise!!

THANKS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO 
HEINZ & MELITTA!

No comments:

Post a Comment