This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Poor dopey robin

This morning, I noticed a robin on the picnic table in the back yard.  She had a beak full of dry grasses--I'd guess she had 25-30 long pieces in her beak.  With those shiny eyes, she reminded me of Salvador Dali.  Robins are usually so nervous they don't stay in one place for long, but she did for a good 30-40 seconds.


I would have forgotten about her except that when I got home this afternoon and drove into the garage, there was "stuff" hanging down from the rafters where the garage door opener is.  I'd left the back door standing open for three or four days, and she must have decided that building her nest on top of the box inside this huge birdhouse was a brilliant idea.  
As I got out of the truck and walked around to the screen door, she flew in with another batch of dry grass.  We startled each other, and I told her she couldn't stay.  I opened and closed the garage door while she flitted rafter to rafter, and finally out the door.  


Yeah, feeling like a creep, I closed both doors.  Then I climbed into the pickup and lifted the nest down.  It was almost finished, about 5" deep, and beautiful.  The inside is wet...mud, maybe?...and smooth as the inside of an orange peel.  She would have lined it with soft grass and feathers if I'd let her finish.  And once she'd laid eggs in it, she would have screamed every time I used the garage door opener or drove into HER garage.  Been there, done that.  It's no favor to the robin or her babies to let her stay.
(Above pic: yellow arrow is where the nest was.  That's it below, on the roof of the cab.  The nest pic had to be a close up because there are two lightbulbs on the opener box.  They would have pissed her off too.  Oh, and the robin photo is a random internet robin, not the frustrated real one ☺).

No comments:

Post a Comment