This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Friday, August 5, 2011

John and Veronica Wintermeyer

I'm a volunteer photographer for Find a Grave. (Genealogists appreciate having a pic of great grandpa's grave, even if it's in a state they've never visited.  That's where we volunteers come in ☺). It's actually fun to wander around in a graveyard--they're serene, well kept places that are sorta bleached by sorrow.  They mostly remind me of the cemetery scene in "Our Town"; a place where the dead learn to forget life.  


So, yesterday, I found myself in St Cloud with a couple hours before my next client.  I have the list of requests in the truck (I know, don't say it) so I headed to Assumption Catholic Cemetery and then Calvary Public Cemetery.


Strangely, someone's been requesting priests' graves lately, but the amount here in Catholic Stearns county became overwhelming, so I quit accepting em.  Still, I figured there'd be a Clergy section even if some are buried in regular sections all over the cemetery.  Yup, and it even included the bishops. 


Finding a grave in either cemetery involves calling the historical society to get the plot location, which is STILL iffy.  The person I was looking for at Calvary was supposed to be in section 5, Row 4, grave 2.  She'd died in 1901.
  
I looked first where the map said she should be, then ALL up and down every row in section 5.  When I gave up, I was on the north edge of section 5, and the truck was on the south.  Ok, one more quick sweep as I walked...and WOW...look who I found:
Veronica R and John B Wintermeyer.  She was Grandma Hesch's sister Vernie (Sand).
 Incredible, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment