This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Monday, September 5, 2011

Odds and Ends, Redux

Here we are again with a batch of stuff gleaned from the web--items that I've kept in my files but that really don't need a whole post of their own.  Still, they're all interesting, honest!  I'll do captions, ok?
Langola township in 1874, when Rice was only a prairie and
most of the township was trees.  The post office was in the
village of Langola, and...there's the oxcart trail, see?
The old woman here is Angelica (Angie) Sand Hiemenz, our grandma's sister.
The guy is definitely her son, but which one?  I'd guess the kids are her grands--
does anyone know which ones?
Much later--Hooray!  According to Raymie Hiemenz' son Thomas, they are:
"Betty Juetten on Grandma's lap, Virginia Juetten on Uncle Alfred's lap 
and Jimmy Juetten sitting on the chair".
Angie and Joe's  daughter Leona married Nicholas Jutten, so these were her kids.  
You can read the rest of Tom's remarks in the comments, below.  
THANKS, Tom!! 
(BTW, Angie was Eddie Hiemenz' mom).
I was looking for Montgomery Ward catalogs on Internet Archive.  I found a couple,
but also this baseball  "how-to" book from 1888 by John Montgomery Ward.
Just thought it was cool.
This was also 1874--but just look what towns were the biggies in Benton Co. then.
THIS air photo tickles me!  It's Buckman township in 1955.
Just look at the natural drainage system--and, is that lake still there?
(No, the other air pics here on HH were from 1939--stop whining!)
Buckman itself, in 1955.



Hmm....were these two pictures of the same house in Buckman?  It's the house kitty-cornered from the church.  We know they've both been labeled "the doctor's house".  Does anybody know for sure?

This is a photo of the cabin on my son's land, but it struck me  as
 being exactly the way our ancestors' cabins looked.
This one was built in 1880, but in Hennepin Co.
___________________________________________________________

Here's my translation of the OTREMBA list from the 1910 city directory 
in Kattowice, Poland.  I could be off on the professions, 
but I think they're pretty close.
____________________________________________________________
See?  I told ya this post was random.

1 comment:

  1. Yes I do know who are in the picture with grandma-
    They are Betty Juetten on Grandms's lap.
    Virginia Juetten on Uncle Alfred's lap and Jimmy Juetten sitting on the chair, I recall Betty Juetten always looked at you at an angle and never straight forward, I have an excellent memory of my childhood years as far back as 1945.
    I am Thomas Nicholos Hiemenz the son of Raymond Hiemenz, Uncle Nick and Aunt Leona are my Godparents.

    ReplyDelete