This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Jake Popp's wife

G'morning!  I'm off soon to have coffee at Kay's Kitchen with Mog, but I wanted to share this first.  It's another treasure from the Pictorial Atlas--the wedding photo of Mary Gottwalt and Jacob Popp (who became the parents of Ilene, Loren, Eugene, Virginia and Marlys Popp...☺).

Mary here was the daughter of Rose Hesch, Grandpa Anton's oldest sibling, and Louis Gottwalt.  If you scroll back to the previous post and check the 1925 photo, Mary's in the back row, next to Jake.

Oh, and see where Mom got my first name?  Marlys Popp married Ray Schlichting, and they lived near Rice.
The day before mom died, she drove to Mayhew Lake to attend Marlys' funeral.  Full circle, huh?
Related (pun intended ☺):  
Isn't this a cool photo?  Since Jake had more than two brothers, I figure this pic was of the two nearest in age to him, namely Ed and Leo, youngest sons of Joseph and Mary Popp.

2 comments:

  1. The kids and I were at Mom's house as she got ready to go to that funeral, and we teased her about how she never liked her hair-do, this morning not excepted. She was in a great mood, and we were all hitting the road in a few minutes, so we savored the laughs. I am so glad to have this memory to keep in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment arrived in my email:
    "Hi there! I commented on another post about the Gottwalts but this post is interesting to me because I just married a Popp! When I first met my husband I knew that I was related to Popps somewhere along the lines and here it is! My name is Katherine Marie Gottwalt (daughter of Steven Gottwalt) and I married Eric Scott Popp (son of Loren Popp). Crazy!"

    ReplyDelete