This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Chicken sightings

I have a life-sized hen statue on the vanity in the bathroom, and a life-sized crowing rooster next to the end table in my living room, as we all do.  Months go by where I don't think about them...until a visitor this week remarked that they're "interesting".

No big deal, except chickens have been a goofy little theme in my life lately.  I'm reading a very early P.G.Wodehouse book called "Love among the Chickens"--(not his best by far, particularly since he didn't do ANY research into chickens, the raising of which is the basis of the story).  Ok, he was 25, and it was his first published novel...nevermind ☺.  I'll give him another chance.

I was clicking around online this week and stumbled across these chickens...and I always have to spend another hour viewing more of their stuff....

Then, out of the blue yesterday morning, Su sent this:

Dear Marlys,
We have been listening to our favourite Saturday morning radio programme  in which listeners were asked to 'phone in about odd things they had found.  A woman did just that about a strange piece of plastic she had dug up on her allotment.  It was eventually identified as a pair of chicken spectacles! Yes, really!  They were made by a firm with the delectable name of Ormskirk and Dewdrop and were supposed to stop chickens pecking each other. They are now banned because in order for them to stay on (chickens don't have ears) a piece of wire is used to poke through the nasal septum - rather like a bull's nose ring.  Here is a piece of film about how they work.  Quite the most bizarre thing I have seen for a long time!
I just thought it might appeal to you too, with your love of daft adverts.
love Su

LOL...it does!
           
The vid reminded me of an AMAZING online film site called British Pathe, where I believe the vid originated.  Click the link and see what their logo is!

THANKS, Su!

No comments:

Post a Comment