This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Gardening 1964 and 2014


This is the closest I can get to a photo of the garden at 1004. (It's the winter of 1964-65)  The garden was just this side of Winge's house and the row of infamous poplar trees.  The garden was HUGE.  Mom planted enough for every guest who happened by in the fall.  I remember 2 rows, the long way, of tomatoes, and the damn things produced like crazy cuz of the manure from Art Popp's semi--good gawd.

Here's a googled pic of a garden like ours, just for reference ☺.  There were rows of onions, beets, corn, lettuce, radishes, green peppers, carrots, peas...and some years cabbage or ground cherries.  I remember endless weeding, endless.  Hmm, the source of my lifetime aversion to being in the sun?  Probably.
(The first time I saw one of these big-butt-bent-over plywood "garden ornaments", I thought someone was specifically making fun of Gramma Hesch, didn't you?)  Gramma had a garden that was even bigger than mom's.  I remember driving into the yard and seeing her out there planting, or weeding, or harvesting. My question: How did they deal with the rabbits and squirrels? Those critters abound in my yard and neighborhood.  New shoots are chewed off as soon as they emerge from the ground.  No, I don't want to garden on the scale mom and gramma did, but SOME would be nice, so here's my solution.  Lettuce in one, onions in the other.  I'll get a patio tomato plant too, and one of herbs. 

       Bunnies, foiled AGAIN, with cable ties and fencing! Brahahahaha!

I'll keep you up-dated.  How could this possibly fail??

No comments:

Post a Comment