BUT, there are interesting incidentals listed, too. For instance, there are the origins of four movers and shakers in town (Frank Mischke, Math Zenner, John Kapsner and John Schmolke), and the fact that three of the four came from the same area the Otrembas came from (within 6 miles of Opole, Poland). Also, look who con-celebrated the mass at the dedication: Bishop Trobec, of course, and about twenty five priests showed up to help, not to mention three local bands. A priest we've mentioned before, Fr. Bernard Richter, gave the sermon, so we know he did have an actual connection to St Michael's (see previous post, for one ☺). I imagine there were another couple dozen townsfolk who "should have been mentioned"...
BTW, I corrected many of the typos and wrong info, but you can click the article to read it yourself, or go to the original copy on the Library of Congress website:
"Sept 304--Tuesday was the greatest day in Buckman's history.
In spite of a very disagreeable and
heavy wind, which stirred up the dust
all day, several thousand people atten-
ded the dedicatory services of the new
St. Michael's church. Bishop Trobec,
assisted by about twenty-five priests,
officiated. Father Richter of Melrose
preached the sermon, which was a
scholarly and interesting address.
Visitors were present from all the
neighboring parishes and many from
Stearns and Benton counties. The
bands of Buckman, Pierz and Agram
rendered music throughout the day.
In the old church the ladies of the
parish served dinner, and for hours
the hungry throngs filled the tables.
The good things were plenty, how
ever, and all were satisfied.
Bishop Trobec and several of the
clergy made short addresses, in all of
which the good work of the people
and their good pastor was highly com
mended. The visitors expressed great
admiration at the sight of the immense
edifice the people of Buckman have
erected, a temple of God which will
stand long after the builders have
passed to their reward, and which will
be a lasting monument to the faith and
good will of the parish of Buckman,
and the energy and persistence of
their pastor. The day was a great one
for Father Lange and his people.
The earlier history of the settlement
of the village and town of Buckman,
is told by Frank Mischke, one of the
leading merchants of the village. Mr.
Mischke's father, Joseph Mischke,
was the first person to settle in the
town, going there in 1871.
Mr. Mischke Sr. was born in Shidlow,
Falkenberg, Prussia. He was
married to Miss Mary Otremba on
September 15, 1861, and of that union
there were born six children, Frank,
John and Mary of whom are still
living. The Mischkes came to United
States soon after the Franco-Prussian
war and settled on the present home
stead in the town of Buckman. At
that time there were no settlers be
tween St. Cloud and the Mischke
homestead, except the Rices of the
present village of Rice. The family
endured great hardships during the
first few years they resided in Buckman
and for an entire year were unableto procure salt for any purpose.
About three years after C. B. Buckman,
now member of congress, settled
on the present Brookdale farm.
The church building, which is re
placed by the handsome edifice dedi
cated Tuesday, was built in 1880. The
earlier history of the Buckman parish
is not clear, as in the earlier years of
life of the church the parish was or
ganized as a mission and the records
are vague. Rev. Ignatius, O. S. B.,
who was in charge of the Pierz par
ish, first ministered to the Buckman
organization and was succeeded by
Rev. Pankratz O. S. B. who was fol
lowed by Rev. Maryhofer, who re
mained eight years. Rev. Father
Lager, since deceased, followed, re
maining one year, Rev. John Beck
was at the head of the parish two
years and was succeeded by Rev.
Father Lange, the present priest and
builder of the new church.
There are at present about one hun
dred and fifty families connected with
the church, where only thirty-two
members existed at the time the old
church was built and the parish or
Matthew Zenner, one of the directors
of the church, was born on April
25th,  in Luxembourg, and came to
America with his parents in 1860,
who settled in St. Wendell in Stearns
county. Mr. Zenner worked on a
farm and saved his money until he
was able to purchase a farm of 200
acres in the town of Buckman where
he now resides. He was married on
November 28, 1882, to Miss Mary
Maus of Luxemberg, Stearns county.
John Kapsner, who is a member of the
directors, was born February 8, 1857, in
Dambrau, Prussia, the eldest of 18
children. His parents came to America
in 1874 and settled near the village
of Pierz. Mr. Kapsner was married
November 7, 1882, to Miss Maria Kopka.
John Schmolke, president of the
village and member of the board of
directors of the church, was born May
8, 1863, at Shidlow, Prussia. He
came to America in 1871 with his parents,
who settled in Buckman. At
that time there was no church or
school at which Mr. Schmolke could
receive the benefits of an education
and he attended a night school, con
ducted by Mr. Hepperly, for one
month. Mr Schmolke opened the village
blacksmithy and later engaged in
the mercantile business. He was
married in 1887 to Miss Mary Kalnabe" [actually, Hedwig Peschel].