This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Monday, March 11, 2019

Polkas, schottisches and muscatel

In a fun exchange of emails with cousin Jerry this week, I was reminded about how much Uncle Leo enjoyed a bump now and then.  His drink of choice was muscatel wine, and evidently it was more than "now and then".  Jerry said that when he and his dad were cleaning out farm buildings before the auction, they found only empty bottles, much to Uncle Eddies chagrin.  Still makes me chuckle: “Son of a bitch they're all empty”.


(BTW, when I googled "Muscatel", the words "fortified wine" were used.  Woulda been the perfect selling point when Fron objected, huh? 😊)

Anyway, that got me thinking about likkered up German and Polish uncles at wedding dances, of course, and it occurred to me that you might appreciate a short selection to reminisce with, so here's Whoopee John with a polka and a schottische.  Turn it up!  (You'll need to provide the fortification yourself).

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet, sweet picture of Uncle Leo and Jawa. I'd forgotten all about it. The Muscatel picture is cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I’ve been listening to Whoopee John since I read it this morning. Seems like I recognize every song - it reminds me of driving in the car with Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete