This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Flour Bin

It's pretty bad when you don't remember whether you've posted about something, especially something that's kinda neat to remember: 

I think flour bins were built into lots of kitchen cupboards pre-1950 or so.  We had one at 434 in St Cloud, on the  north wall, remember?  
If you don't know, the tall door there, with hinges at the bottom?  It pulled out from the top, was lined with galvanized metal, and held a 50 pound sack of flour.  Of course bread was made at home at least once a week, so a good supply was necessary.  
In 1959, when the house in Sauk Rapids was built, Mom made sure she had a flour drawer (cupboards next to the fridge) nicely lined with white enameled metal.  It didn't hold as much, but the supply was better by then.


Funny, I think what fascinates me about the picture is my little-girl view of those cupboards--I wasn't much taller than the flour bin when I realized what it was for.  To see what was in there, I remember holding the handle edge and stretching my neck to see inside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment