This branch of the Austrian Hesch family is descended from Johann Hesch and his wife Marya (Schlinz) Hesch, who came to America from Oberschlagles, Bohemia with three sons: Paul, Mathias, and Anton. +++Johann & Marya settled in Buffalo County, Wisconsin but moved to Pierz, Mn in about 1885. .+++Mathias settled in Waumandee, Wisconsin and moved to Pierz in 1911. +++Anton never married but farmed with his dad in Agram Township, where he died in 1911.+++And Paul, my great grandfather, settled five miles away, in Buckman, Minnesota. He died there in 1900.

: : : : : : : : : : : :

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

This time of year

OK, a quick quiz:  Where do you remember seeing these items when you were a kid?  And, if you were sent to buy them, would this set have been sufficient?

(Extra points given if you still use them and can prove it...lol)

Need a hint?  
Over the years, they'd be painted over many times and still be readable...
YAY! We have a winner--my sister Marion remembered using them.  The answer's in the comments.
And yup, you win twice as much as the last puzzle--oh heck, THREE times as much!  THANKS, Neub! ☺
And BTW, if you did need more than 25, they were available.

5 comments:

  1. Good guess, Claudia, and I imagine someone might have used them for that if it was a more permanent version of an Advent Calendar, but nope, that wasn't their normal use.
    Another hint: almost EVERY house in the northern half of the country used them. Honest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in PA and I do not remember them. They must have something to do with utilities?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm positive they were used in Pa. and some are still in evidence if you know where to look. Hint: ask someone with an old house (70+ years).

    Damn, I might have given it away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah - it was the "painted over" comment that gave it away. I knew I had seen them somewhere but not for a long time - like not since I had my house in St. Cloud.

    They are number tacks that go on storm windows to facilitate getting the right storm window on the right window when the screens were taken down at about this time of year. It seems to me that anyone would need three sets - one set for the window sashes, one set for the storm windows and one set for the screens. I don't know what a person did if there were more than 25 windows in the house.

    Am I right? Do I win a prize? Will it be twice as big as last time?


    Love - PT

    ReplyDelete